Nellie B. Lofthouse ScholarshipCommittment to Community Through Education Assistance
Who We Are: (History)
In 1947, during the administration of WGM Pearl I. Hamilton and WGP Arthur Campbell, PM Eugenia Griffin (48) was appointed Chair of Committee on Education. In the early 1950s, a Committee on Scholarship Benefit was formed under the administration of WGM Ethel B. Ross and WGP Charles C. Quander to give financial assistance to children of the members of the Order. The Education Committee continued its mission and worked together with the Scholarship Committee. In the 1960s these two committees became the Nellie B. Lofthouse Student Assistance Fund, named for the late PM of Rebecca Chapter No. 23. PM Lofthouse, who passed away in 1949, was the wife of PGP Thomas Lofthouse (23). PM Lofthouse forged a stellar career as an Eastern Star. Her accomplishments included organizing the Yesteryear Club in November 1937 for the purpose of aiding Eureka Grand Chapter financially in its reconstruction activities.
The Nellie B. Lofthouse Student Assistance Fund continues to this day. Financial aid ranges from $500.00 to $150,000. Through the years, hundreds of young people seeking higher education have benefited from the Fund.
How to Apply
Awards are made annually based upon academic achievement, community involvement and financial need. Applications for scholarship assistance are available for download (should be a hyperlink here: www.NBLofthouse.org).
All applications are to be completed and mailed to (Regular Mail):
The Nellie B. Lofthouse Assistance Fund, Inc.
c/o Eureka Grand Chapter PHOES
454 West 155th Street
New York, NY 10032
2019 NBL Scholarship Recipients (Includes the school and major)
• Tiffany Challenger, Penn State University, Architectural Engineering
• James Thomas Robinson, University of Hartford, Mechanical Engineering
• Zora James, Hampton University, History
• David Daniels, Morehouse University, Political Science
• Charli I. Abraham, Manhattanville College, Political Science/Special Education
• Taylor Phoenix Barnes, Spelman College, Biology/Pre-Med
• Amani R. Boyce, Hampton University, Political Science
• Danielle Michelle Daniels, Howard University, Psychology
• Torre Dionne Inzar, Morgan State University, Marketing Management
• Korri N. Abraham, Manhattanville College, Criminal Justice/Forensics
• Jermaine Trotter, Utica College, Communication & Media
• Adriana M. DuBois, Erie Community College, Dental Laboratory Technology
• Armani Solè Stackhouse, Norfolk State University, Psychology
For further information pertaining to the scholarship, please contact the Nellie B. Lofthouse Assistance Fund, Inc at www.NBLofthouse.org.